A longtime faculty member remembered by many, Nellie May Naylor (1885-1992) was the second woman to hold
such a rank in the Chemistry Department at lowa State University (then lowa State College). Born in Clear Lake,
lowa, Naylor received a B.A. from the State University of lowa (University of lowa in lowa City) in 1908, an M.S.
from lowa State College in 1918, and a Ph.D. from Columbia University in 1923. She started teaching at lowa
State as a Chemistry Assistant in 1909, after one year as a Clear Lake Public School teacher. Except for when she
was studying elsewhere, Naylor remained at lowa State until 1955, when she retired as Associate Professor of
Chemistry. She was a member of many professional societies, most notably the lota Sigma Pi, of which she was an
active participant, enduringly involved.
/ List / ISU
History / Resources
Twentieth Century Women of Iowa State