Alumni Hall, 1911
Alumni Hall, 1911. View from Beardshear
Enrollment Services Center

(formerly Alumni Hall)


Built: 1904-1907
Additions: 1914, 1943, 1987-1989

The Enrollment Services Center building has undergone a number of name changes throughout its history.  The building was initially named the Christian Association Hall when construction began in 1904.  However, the name was soon changed to Alumni Hall in 1905.  The Alumni Hall name remained in place for more than 100 years, until it was recently changed to Enrollment Services Center in 2008.

The basement was built with a swimming pool, cafe, and bowling alley. In 1914, after the opening of the State Gymnasium swimming pool, the Alumni Hall pool was replaced with a larger dining room. Also, an addition to the south was built at this time to accommodate a larger kitchen.

In 1928, after the opening of the Memorial Union, the dining room, known as the "College Inn," was replaced with additional study rooms and offices. The Alumni Association also relocated to the new Memorial Union.

Enrollment Services Center was used as the Administration Building for the Naval Training School during World War II. An upper level was added to the south wing at this time to make room for additional dormitories. The Navy moved out in 1944.

After the Navy left, Enrollment Services Center continued to hold the offices of the YMCA and YWCA, in addition to housing about 60 male residents. For many years, the men of Alumni Hall lived as a group much like that of a fraternity. In 1985, Iowa State University acquired ownership of the building from the Alumni Hall board of directors, who were unable to fund the $3 million renovation necessary to prevent further deterioration of the exterior. The male residents were relocated when the Board of Regents converted Enrollment Services Center to a complex for student services.

On the National Register of Historic Places since 1966, the Enrollment Services Center now houses the Office of Admissions and the Office of the Registrar.

Additional earlier images of the Enrollment Services Center (formerly Alumni Hall)

click for larger view

Alumni Hall  Alumni Hall Alumni Hall
South view, 1918. 1929. No date.

History of Iowa State University's Alumni Hall

Scrapbook, 1989

History of Campus Buildings at Iowa State University

Comments: University Archives
Created by: Andrea Reis, Research/Technical Assistant & Jill Osweiler Schaefer, Special Collections Librarian

Updated by: Michele Christian, University Records Analyst