From Prairie Sod to Campus Cornerstones

Maples01b.jpg (14094 bytes)
Music Hall, 1978.

Music Hall
Stanton House

Built: 1863-1870
Addition: 1899
Razed: 1978

The second professor's home built on campus was first occupied by mathematics Professor George W. Jones. Edgar W. Stanton lived with Jones's family while they lived in the house, and from 1879 to Stanton's death in 1920 the home was known as the Stanton House. The house was remodeled and enlarged in 1899. After her husband's death, Mrs. Stanton continued to live in the house, and when she started a tea room in 1922, the home became known as "The Maples." Mrs. Stanton moved out in 1924, and the Home Economics Department continued the operation of the tea room. The east (front) porch was enclosed and the kitchen enlarged in 1926. The tearoom closed in 1928 with the opening of the Memorial Union and the Music Department moved in. The name "Music Hall" became official in 1929. The house was torn down in 1978 for the new music building that was constructed on the site.

Additional images of Music Hall

click for larger view

Music Hall 02 Music Hall 03 Music Hall 04
Music Hall, 1978. Music Hall, no date.   View from southeast. Music Hall, 1923.

History of Campus Buildings at Iowa State University

Comments: University Archives
Created by: Andrea Reis, Research/Technical Assistant & Jill Osweiler Schaefer, Special Collections Librarian

Updated by: Michele Christian, University Records Analyst