From Prairie Sod to Campus Cornerstones

Margaret Hall, ca. 1908
Margaret Hall, ca. 1908


Ladies' Hall

Built: 1894-1895

Burned: 1938

Margaret Hall, a women's dormitory accommodating about 100 women, was located about where LeBaron Hall now stands. Named for Mrs. Margaret MacDonald Stanton, it also housed the Botany department during the time after the fire in Old Main until the Central Building was completed. In 1915, a swimming pool was built in the basement. Until 1929, it was primarily undergraduate housing, but after the availability of other dormitories, it became graduate student housing. Margaret Hall was completely destroyed on April 9, 1938, by a fire originating in the basement.

Additional images of Margaret Hall

click for larger view

Margaret Hall 02                        


Margaret Hall 04
Margaret Hall, 1914. Margaret Hall, 1913.
Margaret Hall 05 Margaret Hall 03
Margaret Hall, 1922. Margaret Hall, 1938.

History of Campus Buildings at Iowa State University

Comments: University Archives
Created by: Andrea Reis, Research/Technical Assistant & Jill Osweiler Schaefer, Special Collections Librarian

Updated by: Michele Christian, University Records Analyst