From Prairie Sod to Campus Cornerstones

Sloss House 01
Sloss House, 1949.

The Pines

Built: 1882-1883
Addition : 1903

Charles E. Bessey was the first resident of the home, from 1883-1884. The porch was built in 1884. The longest resident, Thomas Sloss, moved in in 1925. Sloss was superintendent of buildings, and during the 11 years that he lived in the home, he did various remodeling and additions to it, including extending the south porch, removing the west porch, and adding a garage to northwest corner, sun room, study, and bath. The Sloss House now is the home of the Margaret Sloss Women's Center, named after Thomas Sloss's daughter, who was the first woman to earn a Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine and a faculty member for 1923-1972.

Additional images of Sloss House

click for larger view

Sloss Houe 02 Sloss House 03 Sloss House 04
Sloss House, no date. Sloss House, no date. Sloss House, 1944.

History of Campus Buildings at Iowa State University

Comments: University Archives
Created by: Andrea Reis, Research/Technical Assistant & Jill Osweiler Schaefer, Special Collections Librarian

Updated by: Michele Christian, University Records Analyst