From Prairie Sod to Campus Cornerstones

Library, 1954
Library, 1954.


Built: 1923-1925

Additions: 1960-1961, 1967-1967, 1980-1983


Construction began on the Iowa State College Library in April of 1923, at an estimated cost of $400,000. The Library collections had previously been first stored in Old Main for 23 years, moved to Morrill Hall, and then transferred to Beardshear Hall for the last 10 years before completion of the Library.

Additional images of the Library

click for larger view

Library       Library
The Library, no date.   View from south.                                            North side of Library, 1949.

History of Campus Buildings at Iowa State University

Comments: University Archives
Created by: Andrea Reis, Research/Technical Assistant & Jill Osweiler Schaefer, Special Collections Librarian

Updated by: Michele Christian, University Records Analyst