From Prairie Sod to Campus Cornerstones

Osborn01b.jpg (14493 bytes)
Osborn Cottage, 1926.

Built: 1882-1883

Built as a residence for professors, the first resident was Herbert Osborn, an instructor in zoology and entomology. Osborn was not the intended first occupant, the house was built originally for a professor and his wife. When the wife arrived from Boston, she promptly refused to live in the home because of the remoteness, so they moved into a home in Ames.

In 1968, the Foreign Student Services, Student Alumni Association, and Landscape Architecture department began using the building. The Honors Program began using the building in 1976.

Additional images of Osborn Cottage

click for larger view

Osborn Cottage 02                          Osborn Cottage 03
Osborn Cottage, ca. 1908.
Woman is Mrs. Spray, housekeeper.
Osborn Cottage, 1944.
Home of B. H. Platt at this time.

History of Campus Buildings at Iowa State University

Comments: University Archives
Created by: Andrea Reis, Research/Technical Assistant & Jill Osweiler Schaefer, Special Collections Librarian

Updated by: Michele Christian, University Records Analyst