From Prairie Sod to Campus Cornerstones

Lab of Mechanics, ca. 1892
Lab of Mechanics, ca. 1892



Engineering Hall

Hydraulics Lab

Structural Engineering Lab


Built: 1882-1883

Additions: 1884,1933

Before the building was even completed (as Engineering Hall), it was realized that it would be too small to accommodate the fast-growing Engineering Department. An addition to the south, extending west, was completed in 1885. In 1907, the building underwent major remodeling and in 1933 the concrete laboratory was built as an addition. Other renovations were completed in 1967 and 1998.

Additional images of Lab of Mechanics

click for larger view

Lab of Mechanics 04 Lab of Mechanics 02 Lab of Mechanics 03
Lab of Mechanics Building, 1912. Lab of Mechanics Building, 1934. Lab of Mechanics Building, 1989. View from top of Black Engineering Building.

History of Campus Buildings at Iowa State University

Comments: University Archives
Created by: Andrea Reis, Research/Technical Assistant & Jill Osweiler Schaefer, Special Collections Librarian

Updated by: Michele Christian, University Records Analyst