From Prairie Sod to Campus Cornerstones

Gilman Hall, no date
Gilman Hall, no date.

Chemistry Hall

Built: 1913
Addition: 1963-1965

Built as Chemistry Hall, the building was planned to serve as the headquarters of the Chemistry Department, and also the Agricultural, Engineering, and Home Economics Departments. In 1942, a new entrance was built on the south side. In 1963, a north wing addition was built to accommodate additional offices and chemistry laboratories. In 1973, the building was renamed Henry Gilman Hall, for the distinguished professor of chemistry, and his name was engraved on the top of the south side, among other accomplished chemists.

Additional images of Gilman Hall

click for larger view

Gilman Hall 02 Gilman Hall 03
Gilman Hall, no date. Gilman Hall, no date.
Gilman Hall 04 Gilman Hall 05
Gilman Hall, ca. 1918. Gilman Hall, no date.

History of Campus Buildings at Iowa State University

Comments: University Archives
Created by: Andrea Reis, Research/Technical Assistant & Jill Osweiler Schaefer, Special Collections Librarian

Updated by: Michele Christian, University Records Analyst