From Prairie Sod to Campus Cornerstones

eo01b.jpg (13682 bytes)
English Office Building, no date

Office Building

Built: 1884
Addition: 1892

Originally designed for the President's, Secretary's, and Treasurer's offices, the Office Building cost just over $3,000. The addition, built 8 years later cost just under $4,000. By 1908, the administrator's offices had moved to Beardshear Hall, and the college bookstore occupied the first floor of the Office Building and the head of the military department, the second. Later, the Music Department moved in and then out, into their own building, the Maples, in 1928. After the Music Department vacated, the second floor was renovated to office space for the English Department. The name was changed to the English Office Building in 1940. The E.O. Building was renovated again in 1961, and in 1973, the English and Speech Departments relocated to Ross and Pearson Halls, and the office of International Educational Services also used the building.  The College of Business housed faculty there. The building was razed in 2004.

Additional images of the English Office Building

click for larger view

English Office Building 02 English Office Building 04 English Office Building 03
English Office Building, 1947. English Office Building, 1904. English Office Building, 1971.

History of Campus Buildings at Iowa State University

Comments: University Archives
Created by: Andrea Reis, Research/Technical Assistant & Jill Osweiler Schaefer, Special Collections Librarian

Updated by: Michele Christian, University Records Analyst